- Category/grade: National Professional Officer, NOA
- Post Number: 10028086
- Type of contract: Fixed-term Appointment
- Date of Issue: 02 Sept 2019
- The effective date of assignment: As soon as possible
Job Description / Responsibility
- Translate global education objectives and strategic directions into regional or national guidance, strategies and priorities, in collaboration with the supervisor and the Education Section in HQ, to ensure coherence with UNHCR's education policy and strategy.
- Engage, promote and foster partnerships/collaboration with national education stakeholders and bodies in line with GCR.
- Provide technical advice and support on all issues related to UNHCR education programmes and strategic directions, in line with - UNHCR education policy and regional priorities, including through remote support and field missions.
- Support and provide technical advice to senior management and Policy and Development staff allowing for advocacy activities with States and international organisations on all issues related to UNHCR education programmes and strategic directions, including supporting national planning processes, such as the development of SDG4 plans at national levels and ensuring inclusion of refugee, returnee, asylum seeking, internally displaced and stateless children and youth in SDG4 plans and Education Sector Analyses and Plans.
- Participate in national humanitarian and development sector working groups to support that all refugee education support programming at country level is extended, amplified and reported against sector development goals and humanitarian partners and funding serves system strengthening.
- Assist the Country Office(s) to elaborate and implement strategies to address issues related to education access, quality and data, in cooperation with other UN agencies (UNICEF, UNESCO, WFP, etc.) and other key education stakeholders.
- Undertake direct dialogue at the national level on the implementation of education programmes in line with strategic directions, integrated with SDG4 and Education Sector Plans, including with Ministries of Education/Higher Education, education partners and coordination networks (Global Partnership for Education, Education Cannot Wait (ECW) and Local Education Groups, etc.).
- Foster inter-sectoral linkages and coordination with child protection, SGBV, gender, community services, livelihoods/economic inclusion and health, among others, and provide specialist advice for other sectors, to ensure that they fully integrate education related concerns in their planning.
- Assist the supervisor in monitoring the implementation of education programmes and provide guidance on orientation.
- Support the supervisor in monitoring the implementation of Global Refugee Forum pledges within the AoR.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of UNHCR's role concerning education, represent UNHCR at national consultations, and represent UNHCR's education strategy and policy to other UN bodies, NGOs, interlocutors, institutions and organisations.
- Train UNHCR staff, sister UN agency staff, NGOs, and Ministry of Education officials on refugee education priorities and identified topics.
- Assist with the development and dissemination of relevant tools to support UNHCR staff and partners within the AoR.
- Support active exchange of information and that best practices are identified, documented and disseminated both within the AoR and beyond.
- Join joint assessment missions in emergencies to minimise the time refugee children and youth spend out of education (ideally a maximum of three months after arrival).
- Prepare and draft education input in key internal and external documents and reports.
- Perform other related duties as required.
1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
At least 1 year(s)
- Strong inter-personal skills in collaboration and coordination. Excellent analytical skills and drafting skills. Strong communications/presentations skills. Demonstrated capacity to work with minimum supervision. Experience with educational research, teaching or education administration.
- Field experience in education programme implementation and coordination in humanitarian and/or development contexts. Experience working with Governments, Ministry of Education and other line Ministries. Demonstrated work experience in refugee education programmes. Knowledge and experience of UNHCR policies and standards. Experience in the area of child protection. Demonstrated work experience in education programmes.
- Functional Skills:
- *PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
- *PR-Education Administration/Programme/Coordination/Techniques
- PR-Community Services-Communication/Development/Organization
- PR-Community-based Protection - Planning, implementing and analysing surveys/assessments
- PR-INEE (International Network for Education in Emergencies) standards and implementation
- PR-Refugee Education programmes
- TR-Training Design/Material Preparation
- EX-Experience with training/certifications
- PR-Child Protection/Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Language Requirements:
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- Competency Requirements:
- Core Competencies:
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Managerial Competencies:
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Cross-Functional Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Policy Development and Research
- Candidates must be Bangladeshi nationals
- Internal staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (PPAL). If you have questions regarding eligibility, you may also contact the HR unit.
A competitive compensation and benefits package are offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
jagojobs.com Online Job Posting