- The Senior Mission GIS Specialist is based in USAID/Bangladesh Program Office and will work closely with the program office, Economist, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team, Technical Offices, Project Leads, and Development Objective teams. The incumbent will conduct data analytics using geospatial technologies to inform development programming across the sectors in which USAID works with a specific emphasis on strategic planning, program design, and monitoring, evaluation, & learning. S/he will analyze data and generate data visualization products, including interactive maps and dynamic visualizations, to communicate analytical findings to internal USAID decision-makers and external audiences.
- Senior Mission GIS Specialist will also build the capacity of USAID/Bangladesh to use geospatial data, analysis, and visualization products, to better support the goal of data-driven decision making. The Senior Mission GIS Specialist may also manage awards related to the procurement of geospatial technology, application of geographic analysis, and external sources of data that are relevant to USAID programming in sectors such as agriculture, economic growth, education, environment, governance, health, and human rights. The Senior Mission GIS Specialist will work closely with GIS Specialists in USAID bilateral missions in the region, and the USAID GeoCenter based in Washington, DC.
Job Description / Responsibility
- Strategic Planning and Technical Assistance for Bangladesh Mission (60%)
- Assist with preparation of Country Development Cooperation Strategies (CDCS’s), Project Appraisal Documents (PADs), and Scopes of Work (SOWs) by incorporating geospatial analysis and visualization to help set goals, objectives, targets, anticipated results to present this information in compelling visuals.
- Engage in discussion among key offices within the Bangladesh Mission to articulate a vision and plan for integrating geospatial information and analyses into strategic planning, program design, and monitoring, evaluation, & learning (MEL).
- Work closely with the design team and MEL team to ensure evidence-based programming using GIS tool.
- Supervise the GIS team of GIS analyst and GIS interns to produce higher level analytical support to the mission.
- Work closely with the Economist to ensure any potential data analysis and visualization to inform program decision making.
- Ensure on-demand geographic analysis and visualization products from technical teams and the mission to inform development programming decisions.
- Ensure acquisition of database of geospatial data, including retrieval of historic geospatial data previously funded by USAID.
- Implement GIS best practices in areas such as geospatial meta-data standards, workflows, and data-sharing protocols.
- Provide technical advice to ongoing Mission programming, introducing and supporting policies and processes that enable incorporation of data-informed decision making and analytical capacity in the Mission’s portfolio.
- Serve as an Agreement/Contracting Officers Representative (AOR/COR) for buy-in procurement mechanisms related to geospatial and data analytics.
- Provide technical advice regarding data quality and data submission to the development data library (DDL).
- Collaborate with the Digital Development Lab, Washington DC, for updating the mission with data related innovation projects beneficial to the mission.
- Capacity Building for Bangladesh Mission (20%)
- Work closely with Mission staff across teams and across sectors to review and identify optimal entry points for digital tools and analytical support.
- Prepare concept papers, background analyses, and briefings to build support for the use of data visualization and data science techniques throughout the Mission.
- Communicate the value of geospatial analysis to staff and facilitate basic training on principles of geospatial analysis, specifically tailored to Mission needs while conveying the limitations and uncertainty inherent in data sets and analytical techniques.
Bachelor of Science (BSc) in geography, urban and regional planning, statistics, economics, computer science, engineering, math, environmental science, agriculture
5 to 10 year(s)
- A minimum of 5 of professional-level experience in geospatial data management, analysis, and cartographic production; performance monitoring and evaluation; the analysis and interpretation of large amounts of data and design or management of data or analytical systems is required
- Mobile bill, Tour allowance, Medical allowance, Provident fund, Weekly 2 holidays, Insurance, Gratuity
- Festival Bonus: 2(Yearly)
jagojobs.com Online Job Posting